Friday, September 11, 2009

First Week in September

Well my computer has officially crashed! A guy that works at DCMC was able to fix it, but I still can't get Internet on it. So I am writing this from Todd and Molly's computer. This past week has been extremely busy. Monday I started volunteering at a local school. It is a school where everything is taught in English, which makes it easier to help out. At the school I have been helping in a class of 7-9 year old kids. Some of the kids are at a lower reading level and they read out loud to me so they can get some practice. I also help out with their math class. I am really enjoying it. There are three kids in the class from other missionary families. Also at the school I am working in the library. All the books are disorganized and crammed on shelves. So I have been reorganizing and getting them to fit on shelves properly. It is a lot of work and very tiring, but some one needs to do it. I go to the school Monday through Thursday. It is down the hill from DCMC, and I take a bike so no one has to drive me everyday. It takes about 15-20 minutes to get there in the morning. In the afternoon when I start to come home it takes about 45-50 minutes to get back because it's all uphill and impossible to ride so I usually end up walking. We still are going to Ntyuka every Tuesday and Thursday. It is fun because they have been teaching us some different games they play. It is still the highlight of my week. Wednesday's, Molly has been inviting some other missionary women over for a time of fellowship. The moms have been bringing their kids and I get to play with them outside. Last week there were about 20 kids. It was a blast. We played all sorts of games, from ships across the ocean, to soccer, to freeze tag, to a game they call aliens. Friday we are going to downtown Dodoma to work with the street kids (which happens to be all boys) at Safina. Today there was a little boy who was three years old. It is all really sad. We continue to teach English to them. Some of the boys are picking it up really fast. This weekend we are going to finish painting two rooms at a school in Ntyuka. (The Sprinkles and some of their friends painted the rest of the rooms a few months ago.) We started today and had about 10 kids from the village come and help. They were very excited about it. The walls were at one point white, but some parts had turned black because of all the dirt. When we got home Caleb, Moriah, and I cleaned out all the brushes and buckets. Moriah and I also had a water fight and both of us were soaked after about two minutes. I think she won. :( I am still loving it here, especially the heat, but am exhausted by the end of the day. My Swahili is getting a little better. Also another fabulous park about Africa, Molly found a scorpion a week ago. The thing is about an inch long but is extremely poisonous. She put it in a sealed, air tight jar and it is still alive. They have found some that are up to six inches long. But the bigger they are they less poisonous they are. The one they found that was six inches wasn't poisonous at all. Thank goodness. Please continue to pray from my health and that I can keep working at this rate without crashing. I love you and miss you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment